James Emory White is a pastor in Charlottesville NC. He writes an article asking “Is Pornography Really Wrong?” I thought, wow, this is amazing, a pastor who actually asks the question.
Sadly, it’s only pretend. The question was only asked as a trick to get people to read the same disproved points that the legalists have been trying to push for years.
- It is lust — Not it isn’t. No Jesus did not tell you that you couldn’t look at anything that turned you on. He told you not to LUST. Lust is desire out of control. If you don’t make plans, or wish you could get into a woman’s pants, you haven’t lusted. Admiring her body is not lust
- It is addictive — No it isn’t. The American Psychiatric Association has spoken on this repeatedly. But this isn’t the pastor’s real problem. If he really thought that ANY thing that was addictive was sinful, then he would be railing against processed sugar and caffeine. To substances that don’t cause any problems in people’s lives but are, unquestionably, addictive
- It is degrading to women — Not all of it is. If this is his problem, then he ought to be directing his men to HolyErotica.com because it doesn’t have degrading porn.
- “Studies show” It leads to other sins (specifically rape) — Absolute and total nonsense. There is no study that shows such a thing. He doesn’t bother to actually link to any of these “studies”
- It harms your relationship with your spouse —- According to him, Porn causes you to stop have sex with your wife. This is nonsense, and many, many studies have proven this repeatedly. For example, read this post.
- It desensitizes your soul —- or, makes God pull away from you because you are sinning. This is called “Begging the Question” or “Presuming the consequent” He presumes porn is wrong and then uses that presumption to claim that God will be displeased, therefore porn must be wrong. Erotica is wrong because he presumes it is wrong.
- It reduces sex to lust — This is the most annoying point of all. He acts like erotic desire is lust. This is falling for the lie of the world. Lust and erotic desire are not related. If I desire my wife I do not LUST for her. This is the old dualistic “spirit” and “body” heresy. He would recognize that as a heresy if he read it in any other context.
This pastor has the same objectivity when talking about erotica as CNN has about President Trump.